Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Boys Will Be.....Girls?

Thomas Beatie is pregnant again. Has anyone heard this story? (Has anyone not??) The pregnant man? Puhlease…. I think it’s heartwarming that this couple wanted a child and went about all that was necessary to have one. I think it’s fortunate for them that, unlike many couples in similar circumstances, they were able to have a child. That’s great, really. But, BUT, Thomas is NOT a man. He has short hair, he has a moustache, he wears shit kickers and doesn’t have large breasts but he’s not a man.

Here’s a newsflash for you. If you have a VAGINA and a UTERUS, you aren’t a man. You’re a woman or a transsexual/transgendered in transition but you aren’t a man. Seriously. Do I really have to point this out? Am I the only one who noticed? Does anyone in the real world really think that having your breasts surgically removed and taking testosterone makes you a man? Does having breast enlargement and taking estrogen make you a woman? What if a woman has PCOS which makes her produce testosterone and develop male characteristics? Does that now make her a man? If you have a penis but outwardly look feminine, does that make you a woman? Not here in the Heartland of America. Here it makes you a high voiced guy dressing and acting like a woman or a deep voiced woman dressing and acting like a man. Here in the Midwest, if you have a penis, you’re a guy and if you don’t, you’re a girl. We see a lot of cattle and hogs and such....we understand the whole body parts thing.

I’m for gay marriage. I’m for transsexuals/transgendered having gender reassignment surgery so that their bodies match their gender identification. But I’m also for using accurate terms when describing someone’s gender based on genitalia. Men are not able to bear babies so to say that Thomas is a man having a baby just isn’t true. He’s a woman, transitioning to be a man (although he isn’t planning to undergo the final reassignment surgery), who is pregnant. Just because the state of Oregon has agreed to refer to him as male doesn’t make him male. If you have to see the OB/gyn for a pap smear, you ain't a guy.

Have we become so politically correct that we can’t just say what’s what? The pronouns seem to get in the way. We refer to a transsexual in transition as he or she based upon the gender that person intends to become but a guy is still a guy and a girl is still a girl. The pronoun thing is to help make the transition easier for everyone. It’s to help the TS/TG and those around him/her become more comfortable with the change but calling a woman “he” or a man “she” doesn’t make it so. Not to make an inappropriate comparison, but merely to clarify the point, I have a female dog that everyone refers to as “he”. That doesn’t make my dog male.

Thomas is a woman, married to a woman, who has had one baby and is pregnant again. Good for them. I wish all happiness to them and their family but Thomas is not really a man. What he is doing is worth some remark but why is it top news? And why has it been top news for so long? He’s a woman with a moustache who is going to have a baby. So what? My sister-in-law is a woman with a moustache and deeper than average voice who had 5 babies but no one put her on the talk show circuit. Good thing since she can’t get through more than 2 sentences without saying the “F” word. We could all decide to call her “he”, in fact she’s addressed as sir on the phone with some regularity, but she’s not a man either.

4 comments:

muffy jorn said...

That has been driving me up the fucking wall! 'He' is a pregnant woman! Which is fine, but not the same as a man.

Jes said...

Ha - I just said this same thing the other day!!! HA!

Naimhe said...

Glad it's not just me. I've biting my nails (not really, especially since I like my nails) in anticipation of the hate comments I may get....

teresahennessy said...

I couldnt agree more, well said Naimhe